My blog moved!

I made the leap to Wordpress, another blog format :).
Follow along my journey at www.BiteMeBack.com
Thank you!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tea for two, with a side of Nostalgic Pie

My wonderful friend Jessica, is back in town, after much musical-globe-trotting, and schooling abroad. Jess is a bright light, quirky, bubbly and a very talented violist and singer. She is always so busy, that this peaceful summer lull makes quite a welcome change.  It was so nice to be able to call her up yesterday and make plans to chill today! That has never happened, and I've known her since we were in grade 5...gosh...has it really been 9 years already? I'm kind of teasing her here, but its usually really hard to get together with her outside of school...its kind of a joke among our friends.

We met at the Solstice Cafe for tea, a cafe that hearkens back to Paris and Vienna's artistic cafe's, that I've only read about in novels. Organic, local, fair-trade, with lots of vegan baking. Paradise, essentially.

Maybe its because Jess and I are around the same age, but when we're together, it still feels like we're little girls, a giggly duo who can literally talk forever. When you grow up with some one, sometimes you can't appreciate how much they have matured, blossomed, until you've been away from them for awhile. I'm not talking about the 'oh-I-can-see-you-as-an-accountant-already' kind of grown-up, nothing bad or dull like that. :)

I kind of had this idyllic notion, that when it was time for people to leave to go to school, no one would really go far, Vancouver at the worst, and we'd all stay as close and our lives as interconnected as before. Most of my good friends I've known since Middle School, and that circle hasn't changed very much, although we have all grown into very different people, our personalities complementing each other in our quirky way, friendships that are as well worn and treasured as a pair of favorite dancing shoes. I try to write like I am blissfully unconscious of my audience (hello? are you out there :P ), and so its 'just the facts'. I know that its 100% non-fiction when I write that I have the most cherished friends imaginable; I am truly blessed. Pardon me as I overflow with nostalgia for the old days, of playing Cops and Robbers in the rain, our kilts swishing, ridiculous nicknames, playing the 'Blue' game on the swings, the Pickle Trees, and gossiping in Windy House...
"Oft, in the stilly night,
  Ere slumber's chain has bound me,
Fond Memory brings the light
  Of other days around me ..."
 (Thomas Moore)
It is kind of exhausting, talking for so long, but I wouldn't trade our catch-up for anything. I haven't been feeling super-dee-duper lately...always feeling like I could have used another decade of sleep, not wanting to move or think too much. Anything but knitting, or practicing my Debussy repertoire (recital on Monday!) seems too overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment