My blog moved!

I made the leap to Wordpress, another blog format :).
Follow along my journey at www.BiteMeBack.com
Thank you!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

City Lights and Harbour Sunset

I have been healing nicely all week. Already the incision wound doesn't hurt as much. It mostly pains me when I try to move my shoulder, pulling at the stitches, which gives me an odd pinching sensation. Its hard still to roll over in bed, or to pull myself up from the chair, but I know I will be back to my old self before long. I didn't leave the house all week, but instead caught up on two seasons of Halifax Comedy Fest (best show ever, if you haven't watched it! Atlantic comedy is where its at!) and the Winnipeg comedy Fest. Laughing hurts sometimes, as my ribs are very painful and tight, but it feels better. A nice ab workout, that how I like to think of it. Yesterday, I made a pilgrimage to the library, but it was a very brief one, as I could barely reach things off the shelves, which was very annoying. Its like being in a museum of soft toys and not being able to touch them! Alas.


The light today was of a pure, clear kind, with dark blue clouds against a pure baby blue sky. It is magically at sunset, at the Inner Harbour. I can see why it is such a popular tourist stop! It is perfectly situated to catch the final rays of the sun and it sinks below a treeline dotted with condos. If you squint your eyes, so the buildings all blur together, you can almost imagine what the virgin landscape looked like, before man's machines shaped and twisted the land. I believe I read somewhere that the native Songhees called the area something like 'cradle harbour', and would put a baby's cradle in the waters as a blessing of long life or wellness. I forget the details, but if any place I have seen had a more fitting name, I cannot recollect one.

The path is very nicely paved, and relatively flat. The odd thing about that area is the sheer amount of condos surrounding you, towers of glass and steel stretching up up up to the blue ceiling. And yet, there are never any people around. The streets nearly deserted, the only sounds from boats and planes touching down on the water nearby. Its like a background hum, which you can hear over the water lapping on the shore.



It is very relaxing being by the sea. I feel certain that there really is something to that old adage about going to the ocean for your health. The minerals in the air the are beaten off the rocks, the soothing sounds of water moving, the relaxing blue-grays. Peaceful. It was very cold, but just what I needed. Really cheered me up. I haven't been feeling well these past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment